Friends! We’ve almost made it through snowy, blowy January! Let’s give each other a pat on the back, shall we?
In order to celebrate, I thought I would link up with Emily’s delightful “What I Learned in January” fun. So without further adieu, here is the silly and serious of what I learned in the month of January:
1. Of the nine spiritual temperaments, the top three that match my personality are: Naturalist, Contemplative, and Sensate. Basically this means that for me to feel closest to God–and at my healthiest spiritually–I need to spend time outdoors, devote some quiet time with the Lord, and experience the kind of worship that makes my senses come alive. All this was gleaned from a fantastic book by Gary Thomas entitled Sacred Pathways: Discover Your Soul’s Path to God. If you want to discover more about yourself and therefore best steward the life God gave you, I highly recommend this read.
2. I can make a book wreath. I’ve wanted to make one for years but never have because I thought it looked too hard and time-consuming. Well, on a rare, low key Saturday, I rolled my eyes at myself and said Girl, if you want a book wreath, then just make a book wreath. So I bought a couple books from the thrift store, tore out several pages, and hot glued leaf-shaped cutouts to a wooden frame I already had. It’s not the flashiest book wreath, but c’est la vie. I like it!
3. I have officially fallen in love with the blog The Sugar Box. Written by the super savvy Kendra, it features entertainment themed posts, and oh. my. word. They are hilarious like nothin’ else. (I still laugh out loud when I think about her post If the Golden Globes Were Summer Camp.) And the only think I like more than watching Downton on Sunday nights is reading her Downton themed posts Monday morning. Golden, I tell you.
Also, if you live in the Greensboro, NC area, you can receive a real, hold-it-in-your-hands Sugar Box -- a Hollywood-themed package of homemade treats. Just don’t tell me if you get one, because I’m a little jealous and find it difficult to be happy for you (grin).
4. My readers and I are joyously simpatico and on the same page. Here’s to another year of creating a welcoming space where folks receive a lift by way of words and connection.
5. I *can* listen to music with words while writing. Well–sort of. As long as the words are coming from the smooth-as-velvety-chocolate voices of Christa Wells or Ellie Holcomb. Otherwise, I have to go the instrumental route.
6. I can wear bangs! I didn’t think I could really pull them off as my forehead is about 2 inches long. At my last haircut, my hair lady cut them pretty short, but they were still long enough to go over my eyes. So, I ended up sweeping them over to the side. This time, I had her cut them even shorter. I like them–although we’ll see if I wear them close to her artful style or just sweep them sideways once they grow. At any rate, it’s fun to embrace a little change (which is a near and dear subject to my heart, especially now).
7. The ESV journaling Bible is wonderful! One of my boys gave it to me for Christmas and I love it. If you like to write notes in your Bible but never feel you have enough room to do so, then you might love it too.
So, what did beautiful you learn in January? I’d love to know.
Have a wonderful weekend, friends. xo