As the kids sleep in this last morning of November, I am taking the opportunity to sit for a bit and tap out some things I learned this month. I am also taking the opportunity to sneak a piece of pecan pie for breakfast. So as I munch on pie and sip my eggnog chai latte, here it goes.
In November, I learned:
1. Deep fried turkey obliterates all turkey-prep competition. Our darling neighbors spent Thanksgiving with us, and they brought over some of this tender, juicy deliciousness. I never had deep fried turkey before, and now that I have, I don’t know if I can have any other kind. If you’ve never tried it, let me tell you: it is magical. The white meat is as flavorful as the dark! It’s like an early Christmas miracle.
2. Nashville’s Sam Palladio (Gunnar) is British and Clare Bowen (Scarlett) is Australian. Stop the world.
3. These Christmas ornaments given to us by my friend Lisa Leonard may be my favorite ornaments ever. Each year, we give our kids an ornament, and for now the kids hang them on their Christmas trees in their rooms. But later when they leave the nest, our cherubs will each have a collection of ornaments to take with them. These initial ornaments are what they are receiving this year. The ornaments are beautiful, meaningful, and reasonably priced. Shipping is FREE, and you can use the code “verymerry15″ for 15% off!
4. I don’t usually like chocolate pie, but I made this salted carmel-chocolate pecan pie for Thanksgiving, and it changed my mind. Insanely delicious.
5. Gymnastic meets have a lot of parallels to friendship.
6. I always thought having a post go truly viral would be fun. Truth is that being close to anything viral can make you sick, too. I got my first ugly mail/comments ever in regards to this post (okay, not my first, but my first large quantity of them), and for the first time I became a bit afraid of my inbox. I don’t enjoy it when people don’t understand my heart, but sometimes there’s no getting around that. Just the same, I don’t regret writing this post one bit and will sing the praises of my military readers forever. And I don’t regret the bit of thicker skin I have now, too.
7. The delete button is a beautiful, freeing thing (see number 6 above). So is being the boss of your own blog.
8. Starting a new phase of life is scary, but it’s also exciting. More to come on that very soon.
9. I am eager as all get out to give y’all a special surprise soon. Think of it as an early (and free!) Christmas gift from me to you.
10. My disappointment is really God’s divine appointment with something better. To bring this point home, I’m reciting this verse these days, “I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” ~ Psalm 27:13-14.
Linking up with Emily today! So tell me, what did you learn in November?